Code Of Ethics
All members are required to give an undertaking to the effect that they would abide by the CSI Code of Ethics. The Code of Ethics will also specify the procedure for the action to be taken against concerned members for any breach of this Code. Following is the Code of Ethics prepared by the ExecCom and adopted after approval by balloting by the Voting Members of CSI.
Code of ethics for CSI members (all categories)
A member of the Computer Society of India (CSI) shall :
- Organise the resources available to him and optimise these in attaining the objectives of his organisation
- Not misuse his authority or office for personal gains.
- Comply with the Indian laws relating to the management of his organisation and operate within the spirit of these laws.
- Conduct his affairs so as to uphold, project and further the image and reputation of the CSI.
- Maintain integrity in research and publications.
As regards his ORGANISATION CSI member should :
- Act with integrity in carrying out the lawful policy and instructions of his organisation and uphold its image and reputation. Plan, establish and review objectives and tasks for himself and his subordinates which are compatible with the Codes of practice of other professionals in the enterprise, and direct all available effort towards the success of the enterprise rather than of himself.
- Fully respect the confidentiality of information which comes to him in the course of his duties, and not use confidential information for personal gain or in a manner which may be detrimental to this organisation or his clients.
- Not snoop around in other people’s computer files.
- In his contacts and dealings with other people, demonstrate his personal integrity and humanity and when called to give an opinion in his professional capacity, shall, to the best of his ability, give an opinion that is objective and reliable.
As regards the EMPLOYEES, CSI member should :
- Set an example to his subordinates through his own work and performance, through his leadership and by taking
- Account of the needs and problems of his subordinates.
- Develop people under him to become qualified for higher duties.
- Pay proper regard to the safety and well being of the personnel for whom he is responsible.
- Share his experience with fellow professionals.
As regards the CLIENTS, CSI member should :
- Ensure that the terms of all contracts and terms of business be stated clearly and unambiguously.
- Not use the computer to harm other people or to bear false witness.
- Be objective and impartial when giving independent advice.
As regards the COMMUNITY, CSI member should :
- Make the most effective use of all natural resources employed.
- Be ready to give professional assistance in community affairs.
- Not appropriate other people’s intellectual output.
- Always use a computer in ways that ensure consideration and respect for fellow humans.